A homeless man and his dog
I ran across this powerful picture which lead me to a bit of research on the homeless problem.
- Although difficult to measure, it is estimated that between 2.3 and 3.5 million people will experience homelessness.
- The states with the highest rates of homelessness?Â Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington State, and Washington, D.C.
- Of the homeless, about 1 in 50 are children.
- Reasons for homelessness? Â For families: lack of affordable housing, poverty, and unemployment. Â For single persons: substance abuse, lack of affordable housing, mental illness.
- Nearly 1/2 work part-time or full-time jobs.
- Many have been released from prison, hospitals, or the armed forces and have nowhere to live.
- Veterans account for 34% of the general male population but about 40% of homeless men are veterans.
- And their health? Â Over 1/3 report alcohol abuse problems or mental abuse problems while over half report chronic health problems such as cancer, high blood pressure, or diabetes.
- Polls found that 60 percent of those surveyed indicated a willingness to pay more taxes to help people who are homeless.